Chateau Laroche which is French for “castle of rock” and better known as the Loveland Castle.
This locally famous landmark sits adjacent to the little Miami River.
The land the castle sits upon, was created from 20×100 foot parcels that were pieced together.
These parcels were originally given with a year’s newspaper subscription to the Cincinnati Enquirer as a way to increase subscribers.
The Castle was an idea that evolved over time. It was started in June 1929 by Harry Andrews. It was inspired by European architecture and the castle took Harry over 50 years to build.
At first the land was just a great camping spot for a boy scout troop which Harry led.
As a way to better protect their campsite, Harry built two stone tents, to house their equipment and to provide shelter. Calling his boyscout troop the Knights of the Golden Trail (KOGT), he eventually decided his knights needed a real castle.
Day after day Harry would go down to the river, collecting stones to add to the foundation, taking his time, mixing the rock with cement.
When Harry couldn’t find any rocks, he used makeshift bricks built from donated milk cartons. Eventually the simple shelter became a castle fit for his Knights.
The castle was finally ready for visitors in 1980 and is still open for tours today.